.

Update: Brand NEW Posts Coming Soon!!!!

Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Flop


If you know me, you know that I am a baking enthusiast.I post pretty, or not so pretty, pictures of the stuff I bake on my facebook page. But learning to bake, like most things, involves a process. The first icing I ever tried to make went straight into the trashcan. And so many other half baked, messed up, deformed goods ended up being eaten by the garbage disposal. Very few people’s first baked items end up looking like this…..


Most of the time a first baked item looks more like this….



It was much worse than this actually. I didn't have my camera to take pictures of the whole catastrophe. But there was batter all over my kitchen island seeping out like hot lava, and caking (forgive the pun) on my tube pan in funky, disgusting blobs. 

This mess was supposed to be a chocolate pound cake. I followed the recipe to specifications, including the amount  of bake time.  Behold my error! I under-baked the cake. Then as it cooled it sank and came apart. Now I know about the tooth pick trick, but this particular recipe requires that the cake is slightly under-baked. Let’s just say that I made a lava cake!


So I threw away the worse part of it. Cut up the ‘good’ part that wasn't too smothered in batter. Scooped some ice cream and tada! Dessert.



Life’s like that sometimes. Stuff ends up jacked up. Even when you put time and energy into it. You follow the plan to exact specifications and things fall apart. Sometimes you have to throw away huge chunks of things you put time into (friendships, material things, blogs etc). Sometimes your final product comes out different from what you originally anticipated. Life’s a mess.


So that’s enough of my philosophizing. I’m not a pie in the sky optimist: Lemons aint always lemonade! But sometimes a flop can be a learning opportunity (for me it means to calibrate my oven and watch my bake time) or a chance to create something else out of the ruin.

Hope you enjoyed this quick post. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. 

No comments: